Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Spiral Jetty" lease, anyone?

from Jen Graves and the SLOG, Tyler Green and Modern Art Notes

"End of the line?" photo: K. Freitas

As reported by Tyler Green on his Modern Art Notes blog, Robert Smithson's iconic Spiral Jetty's lease is up and open to potential takers of which (at the time of this writing) there were three.  A quick glance at Green's blog just now reveals that DIA Foundation, the Jetty's owner, is "poised to retain Spiral Jetty- site lease" after apparently, missing a deadline to renew it earlier this year.  The three potential candidates were the DIA (the original lease holder), Greg Allen, "an art collector and former investment banker"; and Herbert Steiner, a "retired Seattle schoolteacher and arts-funder".

This has been a fascinating story to follow, not to mention an important one, and I thank Green for his informative and exhaustive coverage.  I had the opportunity to visit the Jetty a few years back.  Its indelible stain on my psyche, art knowledge, and general well-being has never washed away.  I've followed the Jetty's trials and tribulations ever since it came under attack (shortly after my visit) as a possible site for future offshore oil drilling.  I've been an advocate and supporter ever since.  I highly recommend visiting the Spiral Jetty as one thing you must do before you make a final pass through life.  You will not regret it.

You can read more of Green's reporting here and here.

You can also read about my visit to the Jetty here

3 comments:

  1. The DIA foundation is a non profit based in New York.
    The name “Dia,” taken from the Greek word meaning “through,” was chosen to suggest the institution’s role in enabling artistic projects that might not otherwise be realized.
    Not the Detroit Institute of Art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameron - thanks for pointing this out. My mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just learned that the Jetty is almost completely submerged underwater (again) from the lake's rising tide. Something that hasn't happened in several years. I feel fortunate to have seen it when I did. I definitely need to make a return trip.

    ReplyDelete