Saturday, August 10, 2013

That’s Not Photography - Gallery 21 Art Show

by Joe Nalven


Gallery 21 in Spanish Village/Balboa Park has an excellent series of art exhibits. And now, we anticipate another thought- and art-provoking show:  That's Not Photography!
Exhibit at Gallery 21/Spanish Village/Balboa Park -Aug 27 to Sept 9, 2013

Exhibit:  That’s Not Photography!

Where:   Gallery 21 in Spanish Village, Balboa Park

When:      August 27 – September 9, 2013

Gallery hours: 11 – 4 daily

Opening Reception:    Sunday, September 1st, 1 – 5 pm

Closing Reception:      Sunday, September 8th, 1 – 5 pm


Joe Nalven:  What gave you the idea for this exhibit?

Kris Moore:  “That’s not photography” is a tiresome refrain that has echoed in my head since matriculating through the Department of Fine Arts photography program at Indiana University in the 1970’s.  The MFA candidates in my program were dedicated to the zone system (formulated by Ansel Adams and Fred Archer back in the 1930′s) and Bernice Abbott’s 1951 declaration that, “Photography cannot ignore the great challenge to reveal and celebrate reality.” 

Joe Nalven:  That's an important point. We are often trapped by definitions.  Some are expected for civil behavior.  But in art?  Did the academic framework lock you into how you did your art? 

Kris Moore: Although, I never completely bought into it, I was thoroughly intimidated by my peers.  My experiments with exposing crinkled up photo paper or drawing on it during exposure drew condemnation from my classmates and was completely ignored by my professors.  So, I backed down and did the street photographer thing, which was very hip at the time.  I documented the rural backyards of Bloomington, Indiana, which I swear someday I will scan the negatives and make inkjet prints.  The old “C” prints are a mess, but to me they represent a precious look back to a simpler life. 

That’s Not Photography, the exhibition, was born from my art school frustration. 
  
Joe Nalven:  Who is in the show with you?

Kris Moore: Three photographers, whom I admire immensely, join me in this endeavor.  Will Gibson, Theresa Jackson, and Eric Johnson approach their work with determination and gusto.  We are thoughtful photographers blurring the line between painting, photography, and graphic design.

Kris Moore - Sanibel Orange Stem;  Eric Johnson - #87


Will Gibson - Pursuit 3; Theresa Jackson - 4 Roses 02
###
 










No comments:

Post a Comment