Friday, April 19, 2019

Minoru Obira at Lux Art Institute and Jean Lowe Carpet Showroom at Quint

by Patricia Frischer


Our hats go off to Guusje Sanders, the Associate Curator at the Lux Art Institute. Her selection of artists for guest residency have been outstanding. Minoru Obira is no exception. With wood, resin, graphite and slate, he makes elegant primal shapes that are rich with texture and stylish while they also seem to be ageless.


Volcano series



Beginning

Detail Beginning

Wind Stands

Bird 2


Santa Ana Winds

Detail Santa Ana Winds

Tortuga #2

Grove of Shrine

Floating Weed

My Town

Detail of My Town

Detail of My Town




Carpet Showroom by Jean Lowe at Quint Contemporary Art

A tiny room  full of the most wonderful carpets just like you might find in a middle or far eastern marketplace. Look closely and they are all painted paper mache and even the small one dumped in the corner is paper.  I took one picture of my bare feet as the sign said you could walk on these carpets but I could not bring myself to step on them with shoes! Sorry to publish this after the show is over, but hopefully the picture and video I took will give you a good idea. Never miss a Jean Lowe show even if you have to go at the last hours of the last day. 











A final salute to Michael James Armstrong also at Quint Contemporary Art for his Line & Fuzz exhibition. By far my favorite work was the room installation. Here are two views, straight on and from an angle so you get a little idea of the scale of the piece. 




No comments:

Post a Comment