Sunday, June 26, 2011

Daily Art Nag: Sushi closes

from Kinsee Morlan and CityBeat

photo: San Diego CityBeat

Sushi gone

A local arts group is no more and I, for one, am ready to rant


Shame on me. Shame on you. Shame on anybody interested in keeping this city's cultural scene alive.

When The San Diego Union-Tribune reported last week that Sushi Contemporary Performance and Visual Arts is closing its doors, most people acted shocked and surprised, but as board chairman Indra Gardiner Bowers put it to me over the phone last Friday, "It's like, 'Really? How many times did you go to a Sushi performance? How much money did you donate?'"  For my part, I should have done a better job at covering Sushi's plight.

The story started writing itself the moment the once homeless, cutting-edge arts organization moved into its new East Village digs just as the recession hit.

Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment