Saturday, May 13, 2023

GROUNDBREAKING O’KEEFFE AND MOORE EXHIBITION

 by Patricia Frischer


Georgia O'Keeffe

 

When I first heard about this showing of O’Keeffe and Moore  I was skeptical. One from the USA, one from the UK, one mainly a painter, the other a sculptor. The only thing they seemed to have in common was that they passed away in 1986. I never met Georgia O’Keeffe but she seems like a reclusive feminist tucked away in New Mexico. I had the fun of having tea with Henry Moore during my stint as a gallerist in London in the early 70’s. He was a small man, not humble, but generous in offering me my choice of drawings for a modern master show I was curating.

I also just read an article about an exhibition in New York about the early works on paper by O’Keeffe, praising this work over her large oils on canvas. I am a huge fan of drawings and I have always preferred Henry Moore’s intimate drawings over his large sculptures. So, I thought I could bring some insight into this showing.  But I was not prepared to be blown away the moment I walked into the show, which got better and better with each room.

A stunning early watercolor by O’Keeffe set the tone for this show. It literally glows off the page (above). It is juxtaposed next to a detailed drawing that Moore created on a scrape of newspaper (below). Both are works on paper and both quite different although both are figurative. The direct feeling of the artist hand is what always appeals to me in these small works.

The show includes lots and lots of art by both artists but there are definite pairings that show the strong relationship between the works and that is what pulled me in. The display is stunningly laid out and beautifully lit. There is an immense feeling of space and elegance. As a bonus, each of their studios has been recreated.  

Thanks to the curator, Anita Feldman, it achieves high praise for giving us a new and fresh way to see both of these beloved artists in the context of each other. 


Henry Moore

Georgia O'Keeffe portrait

Henry Moore portrait

Georgia O'Keeffe's studio

Georgia O'Keeffe's view from her studio

Henry Moore's studio

Henry Moore's view from his studio

Henry Moore - bones

Georgia O'Keeffe - bones

Henry Moore 

Georgia O'Keeffe

Henry Moore

Georgia O'Keeffe

Henry Moore

Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia O'Keeffe

Henry Moore

Henry Moore and Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia O'Keeffe - I included this final work because it is just so wonderful and you should see all the works in this amazing exhibition, which has some of the best example of both artists. 

The San Diego Museum of Art presents O’Keeffe and Moore from May 13 – August 27 and then traveling to Albuquerque Museum in New Mexico and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Canada. Including significant works from the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum and the Henry Moore Foundation and many other museums, this exhibition is curated by Anita Feldman, The SDMA’s Deputy Director for Curatorial Affairs and Education.


No comments:

Post a Comment