Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Chair at Cannon Gallery, Carlsbad

 by Patricia Frischer


Cheryl Tall


artists showcase The Chair

Sept. 10 – Dec. 3, 2022

I am gaga over chairs and chair art is just irresistible to me. I am a huge fan of Karen McGuire and her curatorial skills. So this exhibition of functional and pure art sculptures was high on my list. I knew that I would love the ceramic chairs by Cheryl Tall and be intrigued by the work of Erin Behling, and admire the carpentry of Paul Henry and the design of Wendy Maruyama but I discovered so many more artists who I had no idea made chairs and some artists who I had never heard of at all. David Fobes's pictures I have followed but his many creations in this show were stunning and James Watts has always made sculptures but he ran wild with the amazing display of a chair studio gone wild.   The first thing I saw was the trompe-l'œil seat by John Cederquist, which I truly thought was fabric draped on a chair.  I did not alter any of these images so you will have to go and see the show if you can't believe what you are seeing! 
Karen McGuire and Cheryl Tall

Cheryl Tall - selection of minis

Erin Behling - beautifully rendered seat

Wendy Maruyama, Paul Henry, David Fobes

David Fobes

David Fobes

David Fobes

David Fobes - detail
vv
James Watts


James Watts

James Watts - detail

                                                            James Watts

John Cederquist

John Cederquist



Christopher Polentz

Lee Puffer


Others Artists to discover:  Matthew Hebert,  Roy Jenuine, Nina Karavasiles, DeLoss McGraw,  and Gabriel Weise.  


William D. Cannon Gallery
1775 Dove Ln, Carlsbad, CA 92011
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: Noon - 5 p.m.
Wednesday: Noon - 7 p.m.
More information: 442-339-2021
Admission is free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment